Walkertown Vol. Fire Department
P.O. Box 291
Walkertown, NC 27051
Content View Hits : 49375
Walkertown Fire Department History On February 23, 1953, the Walkertown Civic Club authorized a recommendation to the Walkertown Community Council that a committee be appointed to conduct a campaign to establish a community Fire Department. About one month later on March 18, 1953 the committee to organize a Fire Department was formed with the following officers appointed - J. Rufus Duggins; Chairman, James S. Gant; Vice Chairman, Dewey A. Bowman; Secretary, Ernest G. Idol; Treasurer, Boyd M. Idol; Publicity Director, and Mrs. Russell Jones; Assistant Publicity Director. Months later, enough money was raised to purchase a 1953 GMC truck and organization was taking shape. On October 16, 1953 the first fire truck in Walkertown arrives. A GMC with John Bean equipment, the truck cost approximately $9,276.
On November 24, 1953 the plans for a fire station were approved and construction of the fire station began at 5135 Main Street in Walkertown. In 1975, the Walkertown Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary was formed, two years later in 1977 the Walkertown Rescue Squad was organized. In 1999 Walkertown Fire Department constructed a new fire station located at 5225 Main Street in Walkertown. Today, a department of 52 members continues to serve and protect the citizens of Walkertown and surrounding fire district. Walkertown Fire Department operates out of one central station, with eight pieces of equipment responding to approximately 900 incidents per year.
History of the Fire Service
The Maltese Cross
The Thin Red Line